State Policy Issues

Interim Technical Guidance on Drilling Oil and Gas Wells in Special Flood Hazard Areas

A floodplain development permit from the community is required for drilling oil and gas
wells in a Special Flood Hazard Area (SFHA). The application for a permit should
include a detailed set of plans and specifications. The following guidance is on National
Flood Insurance Program (NFIP) minimum requirements.

Some communities may have more restrictive requirements in their floodplain management ordinances.